Saturday, June 15, 2013

Book Tour: Sun Poisoned by Nikki Rae Interview



Synopsis: 
Sophie’s life has changed. She’s moved to New York, she’s playing music for new people, and she’s making new friends. Then there’s Myles, and the fact that he is now her boyfriend—and everyone knows it. There are a lot of new things to take in, but Sophie has no problem adjusting.

She’s not exactly normal, living in a half-human, half-vampire world, but she’s finally, truly happy. But some parts of Sophie and Myles’ old life still hide in the dark, waiting for the right opportunity to strike.

Sophie’s having nightmares again, but they aren’t about her; Myles is hiding something that she’s not sure she wants to know.

And one lie will change everything.

No matter how hard she tries to cover up the marks her monsters have left behind, they never truly go away, and Myles’ monsters are no different.
Once again, Sophie’s caught between life and death, but this time, only she can save herself. 

Interview:
1. Where did you get the idea for the novel? 
Once I had the idea for the first book, the second one slowly started forming. Sunshine came to me after I took a trip to Aruba with my family when I was in high school. I got horrible sun poisoning the first day, and ideas for the book just started trickling in. For the second book, I wanted to see what would happen if the best and worst possible things happened to the main character. It was a roller-coaster for sure.

2. Your title. Who came up with it? Did you ever change your title? 
Sunshine was always Sunshine, but Sun Poisoned took some thinking. During the course of the first book, we see the main character, Sophie, go from a scared, closed off person to someone who grows to trust Myles. In Sun Poisoned, Sophie is continuing this transformation (with a few paranormal wrenches thrown in, of course). But are lies told, lines crossed, and suddenly, everything she thinks was alright isn’t. As I was writing, I got the sense that poison was starting to seep into every aspect of her life, so that’s how I came up with the title.
3. Why did you pick this genre? What do you like about it? 
I love the paranormal genre. I feel like you can have a great mix of folklore and creativity. Writing for me is ultimately about what it means to be human, and the paranormal genre tells us that in ways other genres don’t/can’t. 
I’ve also had an almost unhealthy obsession with vampires since I was very, very young. It was only a matter of time before I put my own twist on them. : )

4. Since becoming a writer, what’s the most exciting thing to ever happen to you?

Wow. It’s ALL been exciting. People reading my book, asking me questions, and saying that they like my writing.  I’ve met some nice people, made friends, and learned a TON. Recently, I was asked to go back to the community college I graduated from to speak about self-publishing. Sometimes I have to take a step back to look at all of this to believe it’s real. It’s been truly, truly amazing.
5. What book are you currently reading or what was the last book you read? 
Right now I’m reading a book called “Drowning Instinct” by Ilsa J. Bick, and the book I read before that was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Steig Larson) graphic novel.
6. What is your writing process? 
I basically think a lot at first. I gather ideas, write them down, and just let them hang out with me for a while before I start writing a novel. Usually, I like to wait until I have a good idea of who the characters are. Once I have them, I set them loose and let them do their thing, which mostly works, but sometimes they get a little carried away.
7. At a book signing, do you just sign your name or do you write a note? How do you come up with stuff to say? 
I’ve never actually had a book signing (YET!). I have a thing called Authorgraph, where people can send me a request and I can sign their e-books with my smart phone, and a few people at school have asked me to sign things for them. I’m just honest when I write a message and I always write a note along with my signature. It’s more personal that way!
8. What is something people would be surprised to know about you? 
I’m extremely shy! And I guess if we’re going off of what I write, which gets pretty dark at times, people may be surprised to know that I’m generally a happy person. I just like writing about not-so-happy things.
9. How do you react to a bad review? 
When I got my first bad review, of course I was a little upset. It’s human nature. But I don’t expect everyone to like what I do. I don’t like everything other people like, either. As long as the reviewer isn’t particularly nasty when they say they didn’t like/get my book, it’s all good. : )
10. How did you celebrate the sale of your first book? 
Haha. I think I sat around and ate a king sized bag of candy with some friends.

Bio: 
Nikki Rae is a student and writer who lives in New Jersey. When she is not writing, thinking, or reading, she is most likely hanging out with her gecko, Neil Gaiman, drawing in a quiet corner, or drinking tea by the gallon. Sunshine is her first book.
 
Links: Goodreads Amazon 
Author Facebook page The Sunshine Series Page
My blog
Twitter
Tumblr 

No comments:

Post a Comment