Genre: New Adult Romance
A fresh start...
It’s been three years since Serena King learned to say no—no to the boys that were a desperate cry for help, no to the extra weight she put on in self defense, and most of all no to the abuse that has haunted her since she was fifteen. Now a sophomore in college, all she wants is to be normal. The last thing she expects is a guy who can make her want... make her want everything.
A new guy...
Alex Blackthorn is a bundle of contradictions, a sexy dark haired badness who goes slow... deliciously slow. And despite the iron will that has gotten her through the last few years, Serena finds herself unable to ignore the heat that sizzles between them whenever they’re together.
A dark past...
Serena never thought she could be involved in a relationship, but Alex makes her long for things she thought were out of her reach forever. When he finds out her secret... when he finds out what she did to keep herself sane... will he still want her, or he will treat her just like everyone else?
And Alex has a secret of his own.
Recommended for mature readers aged 17+ due to language and sexual content.
1. Where did you get the idea for the novel?
I’m not sure that any one thing inspired it. I was casting around for an idea for a new adult romance, and it just slowly grew.
2. Your title. Who came up with it? Did you ever change your title?
A friend of mine who is in PR came up with the title. I had gone through several not so spectacular ideas before it was published. He suggested this one and it just fit.
3. Which came first, the title or the novel?
4. Since becoming a writer, what’s the most exciting thing to ever happen to you?
I’ve met Nora Roberts a few times—I grew up reading her books, so that was pretty exciting for me.
5. What book are you currently reading or what was the last book you read?
I just finished “Darkness Hunts” by Keri Arthur.
6. What was your first book that you ever wrote (very first one you wrote, not published)?
That would be a Nancy Drew knockoff back when I was about twelve. It was dreadful
7. What is your writing process?
I plot out the entire book, scene by scene. Then I draft as fast as I can. Then I edit.
8. Who are your favorite authors of all time?
My good friend Sara Fawkes is an amazing author (she did my cover!) and I definitely love her work. I just read a New Adult that will be released in a few weeks, called Hollow, by Ava Conway. It was spectacular. Other than that, I have a soft spot for Nora Roberts, Christine Feehan, Barbara Delinsky.
9. At a book signing, do you just sign your name or do you write a note? How do you come up with stuff to say?
It depends on what the person wants. I’d love to write something unique for everyone, but it’s hard to come up with something witty on short notice!
10. What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
I don’t really like cats—and yet I have one.
11. How do you react to a bad review?
I try very hard not to read reviews. Readers will always have opinions on stories, whether they are good or bad, but I don’t want them to affect how I feel about my book, or my writing.
12. How did you celebrate the sale of your first book?
I’m not sure I can even remember the sale of my first book, it was so very long ago!
About the Author:
Kate Laurens is a proud Canadian who loves beer, coffee, kickboxing and books. She writes New Adult Romance and falls a little bit in love with each hero that she writes.
Kate loves to hear from her readers. Find her at www.katelaurens.com
She's also on Twitter as @KateLaurens